Reply to post: It seems it might be a language thing after all..

Python joins movement to dump 'offensive' master, slave terms

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

It seems it might be a language thing after all..

On further digging it looks like the originator of the idea might not be a native English speaker, thereby missing some of the nuances of the linguistic swamp that is the English language. Hence maybe inadvertently making himself look like a complete and total bellend..

But he is involved in the whole "diversity" malarkey and give that he seems to be a very very minor drone in the whole python universe its pretty much par for the course for these sort of situations. People who actually do something useful in life never ever waste their time on this dross.

As for the whole "slave" terminology crap as an excuse for failure. Funny how the descendants of west african slaves (which was about 40% to 70% slave holding in the 18'th century - the trade been run by the Arabs)who recently immigrated from Africa seem to do fine, as do the recent immigrants from the Caribbean, where as the local US blacks do so badly. Might it have something to do with the US blacks having being the political clients of first one political party then the other over the last 150 years? Their political masters need them to be failures and forever dependent. Slaves to the party machine.

(I first wrote "slav to the.." inadvertently returning to the origin of the word. The Slavs in the Ottoman slave markets in Constantinople)

FYI most of my ancestors were only legally emancipated in 1828, a generation before the local US blacks, and given the nature of early modern gaelic culture some of my ancestors would have been chattel slave owners. And maybe the more feckless might have ended up enslaved themselves.

It was Western Civilization and the Liberal Enlightenment that ended slavery. Not the neo marxism of pseudo intellectual non entities. None of these realities of history fits into the simple fairy tails of the SJW crowd. Who are never the brightest or most informed people to start with.

One of my favorite rhetorical hand grenades which I like to use with that ilk here in the US is the fact that the Royal Navy did more to end slavery in the US than Abe Lincoln ever did. A quick look at the history of the West African Squadron will show that they did far far more humanitarian good in the decades they were active than the deeply cynical posturing of the 1860 Republican presidential platform.

Thats the problem of being a slave to the facts of history. It never fits the simplistic political narratives of the moment.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon