Reply to post: Re: Microsoft is giving people some extra time...

Microsoft tells volume customers they can stay on Windows 7... for a bit longer... for a fee

BobChip
Linux

Re: Microsoft is giving people some extra time...

Yes, people are now switching to Linux, but still in relatively small numbers. It is only AFTER you have made the switch, AND you have become comfortable with the new system, that you begin to appreciate just how very much better than MS Windows (Win 10 in particular, but that's not difficult) it really is. I have NEVER had a BSOD, or an update bork my system, in 6 years of daily use. I love the support it provides for my legacy film scanner. Updates are not forced on me, and take from a few seconds to two or three minutes, silently, in the background, with no need for repeated reboots etc. etc. etc. Modern printers and scanners are easily supported, and the major manufacturers all provide Linux drivers these days.

Linux may become dominant in time, but only after a large enough body of day to day users has become established for the word to spread. And M$ have lost their stranglehold on the supply chain, where they continue to push out a seriously unsatisfactory OS on new hardware that, more often than not, customers really do not need. Sad.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon