Reply to post:

Neutron star crash in a galaxy far, far... far away spews 'faster than light' radio signal jets at Earth

Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

I thought the downvotes were unjustified until I got to the last para. And if you'd phrased that as a question, you'd've probably got away with it; people have itchy trigger fingers in a thread so filled with BS.

In answer to your first question: a big enough neutron star always becomes a black hole. In fact all matter wants to collapse into a black hole, but there are repulsive forces that stop it: the electric "Coulomb" forces between molecules and atoms are enough to keep you human; in something as massive as a star, the temperature of the plasma pushes back against the collapse, and in a neutron star its the "degeneracy pressure". But if you exceed a critical mass (Tolman–Oppenheimer–Volkoff limit), then even that won't stop it.

I don't follow what you're asking in the second question. But a change in the position of matter is a change in the gravitational field, and the changing field has its usual affect on remote objects.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon