Reply to post: I call BULLSH*T!

Google cracks down on dodgy tech support ads

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

I call BULLSH*T!

Google needs to get it's own house in order first.

Almost 3 years ago I received a fake virus warning on my new Android device that linked to a bogus "Antivirus/Cleaner" app on the Google Play Store.

I decided I was finally going to try and do something about it and reported the app to Google thinking that would be the end of it but I was wrong.

I started searching the internet to find other users that had complained about getting fake virus warnings on their Android devices and saw that users had been reporting this same app since 2013 and continues to this day.

Google assigned a supervisor to work with me on the issue but after a month of me sharing screenshots and hundreds of user complaints about the app I was contacted by a new Google employee and had to start the whole process over.

This same scenario played out multiple times where I was purposely put in an endless loop of being reassigned a new Google rep.

The app in question uses the virus detection rules of a well known antivirus/security company but it is just a giant ad server that injects ads into the users Facebook stream using Facebook's infamous Graph API and directly violates Google's own developer policies in at least 4 different catagories yet Google refuses to do anything about it.

There were 48 user complaints about the fake virus warnings for the app on the Google Play Store in one month alone.

So tell us how again how you are "cracking down" again Google.

(I guess that doesn't apply when the scammers pay you 30%.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon