Reply to post: Re: Doesn't bode well for a UK out of the EU then ?

Internet overseer continues wall-punching legal campaign

I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Doesn't bode well for a UK out of the EU then ?

Radio 4 had a great program on the UK Supreme Court earlier this year. I don't know if it's still on iPlayer or not. But it was interesting on the processes they've developed - as of course it's a very new court, brought in to replace the House of Lords.

So they discussed how they came to decisions and then who got to write them up. And how sometimes they'd have on person write up the judgement, with input and comments from others, and sometimes they'd separately have the dissenting opinion written by a spokesman for the dissenters and the majority verdict from one of them.

What I know about the US system comes mostly from Alistair Cooke. The BBC made a huge archive of his Letters From America available a few years ago. There's more than 900 of them, in groups and series. The early ones are all good - but given he started in the 40s, he was starting to repeat himself a bit by the early 90s. Which is only fair. And still may of the later ones are interesting. The Nixon ones are great, particularly in the light of recent Trumpy events. God he'd have been incandescent about Trump - Nixon actually had some redeeming features. I was surprised by how sceptical he was about Kennedy's foreign policy, for example. He covers the Surpremes in a few episodes. Worth a look, even if you only select a few - at mostly 15 minutes each I went through them over a few years of walks to work, interspersed with much other stuff. Mike Duncan's 'History of Rome' and now 'Revolutions' and David Crowther's 'History of England' are my podcast time-sinks now. Along with 'More or Less', 'Fighting Talk', 'Infinite Monkey Cage' and a few others.

Sorry, gone waaay off topic. But I love 'em all, so I'll plug 'em anyway.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon