Reply to post:

Boss regrets pointing finger at chilled out techie who finished upgrade early

eldakka

Turns out my credit card had expired and I'd forgotten to update it (well, ignored the email as I thought 'I'll do that when they bug me at renewal date').

Never once got a communication saying payment was declined, but hey ho, turns out Lets Encrypt wasn't much faf at all... their loss.

If a new CC was issued with a new expiry date when the old one expired (that is, the account wasn't closed/cancelled/card declared lost), then the new card will have the same number, but different expiry and CVV.

But in requesting a payment via the CC payment system, I don't believe the date is passed along to the payment processor with the CC number, and in many cases neither is the CVV. It is more an honour system that a biller will not bill a CC after the expiry date. However, if the biller does bill the CC after the expiry date, but the number is still valid, the payment processor will still honour the payment.

I've had several re-occurring payments continue even tho my CC has expired and the institution has issued a new CC with the same number but different expiry. And I've had others fail when the expiry has passed for the same CC account.

It could be a bit more subtle than not passing the date. Maybe it's something like that when a re-occurring payment is first set up maybe the date is checked for that initial payment, but future payments are not expiry-checked by the processor.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon