Reply to post: Re: I have doubts

Meet the LPWAN clan: The Internet of Things' low power contenders

doublelayer Silver badge

Re: I have doubts

I will try one more time. I do not think, nor have I ever thought, that the type of devices we are discussing are the types to send video streams or other large data streams.

Now to cover IoT vs IT: IoT is IT. It is a system that runs code, interacts with other devices, and in order to actually come under IoT, must connect to the internet at some point. It may not be exactly similar to other IT devices, and there may be other people to work on it, but it is technology that delivers information, and is more similar to IT infrastructure than infrastructure by most other departments. In addition, most of the things that are talked about as members of the IoT group as a whole are much more complex than something that runs some sensors and can communicate all the relevant information in some 255-byte chunks sent every once in a while. Even if we're limiting ourselves to equipment used in industrial things, there are things that require direct connection because they report information or receive commands in real time, and those things are always called IoT. In fact, if we wanted to split the broad category IoT, the devices better suited to the name would be those connected directly to the internet rather than sensors that use a gateway (of course, if that gateway also allows internet connections, then those sensors also belong to the IoT group).

My doubts are still alive, but not because I fail to see use cases for the technology. I merely see a great deal of complexity in the technology that would make it difficult for some players to use it. Combined with the fact that WiFi exists and can be used by a lot of sensors, albeit with less effectiveness and many downsides (I admit these are there), many might not bother to implement it. This could cause the technology to stagnate.

On the topic of hospitals, many of these already have WiFi. Part of the reasoning for this are patients who must remain there for some time, but the system is also used for wireless devices used by the staff. Those hospitals that lack it often still have wired internet, as they are some of the most computerized locations. I'll admit that I have less experience with factories, but I'd imagine that those for whom the term internet of things is a selling point are probably not strangers to internet-connected equipment on the factory floor.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon