Reply to post: Re: TBH I'd thought they solved this problem decades ago.

Wondering what to do with that $2,300 burning a hole in your pocket?

fajensen

Re: TBH I'd thought they solved this problem decades ago.

Then the hobbyists get them -

The hobbyists needs to get them first or there will be no high-end market. The place where I work, they are very much into Big-Money, Big-Systems CAD from Dassault. Including 3D visualisation.

The trouble is that none of it works very well.

One reason that none of it works very well is that very, very, few people have the money combined with the lack of sense to "invest" in these tools. So the developers constantly runs into "new situations" every time they deploy something (The CAD workstations even have to use some special version nVidia graphics card which is about 2000 EUR ... If they had just stuck with normal, high-end, gamer-card compatibility, those would have been faster, cheaper and there would even be fixed drivers and support). Another reason is that most people "investing" in these high-end boutique tools are people like the F-35 project, with unlimited tax-payer funding and which does not have to deliver anything that really works for another 3-4 generations of engineers. Powerpoints and beautiful sims will do just fine.

In "IT" I think it is more effective to go relatively low-end, where the volume is and people will accept limitations and faults, in order to get sufficient design iterations and volume needed to be able to also market a reliable high-end product for the professional market. The opposite strategy of Tesla.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon