Reply to post: Re: If you lack the IT skills necessary to do your job...

Almost 1 in 3 Brits think they lack computer skills to do their jobs well

LucreLout

Re: If you lack the IT skills necessary to do your job...

If you lack the IT skills necessary to do your job...

... then your manager has failed and needs either retraining or firing. Because it's their job to make sure that this is not the case.

There's a wonderful little concept, not very popular these days, but one can only hope it will return to the fold sooner rather than later, known as personal responsibility.

My skills are no reflection of my managers (collective throughout my career) at all. They are reflective of my taking personal responsibility to ensure that I am as good or better than everyone I work with, and that my skills remain current with the wider marketplace.

The only job security anyone ever really has is their ability to attract another employer quickly if anything happens to the current role. I take responsibility for ensuring I can walk into several jobs at very little notice, which is why I get paid in what may be politely termed the premium segment.

Your skill set is your job, not your managers. His/her job is to replace you with someone better if you don't maintain an effective skill level. Sorry, but that is the really real world out there: get your game face on.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon