Reply to post: Impatient drivers

'Can you just pop in to the office and hit the power button?' 'Not really... the G8 is on'

Stoneshop
Stop

Impatient drivers

One sunny Sunday a good while ago I was doing traffic safety at a local run. Runners coming out of a side street and crossing a relatively major road out of the city. You stop the traffic as needed so the runners don't get splatted as that tends to cause a bit of a mess and some related problems.

Anyway, a bit into the race a sizeable number of runners are crossing, no gaps to let traffic through, and at some point a Volvo driver got impatient, got out of the queue and into the other lane and accelerated towards the actual crossing. As stopping that car looks to be somewhat unhealthy I block the runners, and I've probably shouted "Stop" or "Watch out" at them.

For the other direction there's a proper police officer controlling the traffic. Who just turns around immediately, points at the Volvo and bellows "STOP". And then points to the grass verge. We then continued to deal with the traffic and the runners, and at the very end the Volvo driver was dealt with, in a very thorough and extended way.

Utterly satisfying to watch.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon