Reply to post: Re: Tax is optional!

Amazon meets the incredible SHRINKING UK taxman

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Tax is optional!

@Rol: The tax system is indeed skewed in favour of companies — even small ones like mine.

I have had to incorporate as I work for government organisations through agencies that require me to be incorporated to avoid giving me all the benefits that ordinary employees get. Due to many factors I avoid being hit by the IR35 rules and can therefore benefit from the company rules, which means that I end up paying less tax than had I been employed.* In my case the overall taxation (i.e. company plus personal) is less than 25%, which is still substantially more than Amazon pays, but I'm not complaining. Add to that the trifle I pay my accountants and I'm still below the 25% limit. It's hard for me to understand to what extent the UK seems to favour corporations to the detriment of the working man.

* Working through certain agencies is a way to skirt the EU tender rules, as the agencies have EU-tendered (framework) contracts with the government where I just get slotted into that contract and pay my pound of flesh to the agency at a substantial higher rate than I could probably command as myself.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon