Reply to post: Re: There is no proper installable device driver system

Drink this potion, Linux kernel, and tomorrow you'll wake up with a WireGuard VPN driver

AZump

Re: There is no proper installable device driver system

WRONG!

And most of us aren't simple enough to "install everything". ...and if we did, we would understand that we chose to have a large install.

But let's look at that large install. My Slackware if everything were installed would weigh in at 5GB. What does that get us?

The ability to boot the drive in any system given boot sector/super block is present and correct.

Several Office apps

Several Multimedia apps

Several Development apps

Many Games

Various package managers

Various command line utilities

Various web browsers

FTP servers and clients

SSH clients and servers

Web servers

Database servers

Various programming languages

Various compilers

Various shells

Various locale and languages

Various character support tables

True multi-user support

Proper permission system

Etc

Etc

Etc

Etc

...and what does the same 5GB net you in OSx or Windows? Not very much.

And no proper device driver system?

Get real! There is TONS more device support in Linux and 9 times out of 10, it's plug and play.

Just TRY and connect a 15 year old MP3 player to Win7+, ain't happening. Install over 100MB of support software, it's there, but can't talk to the system. Linux? About 180k on support software, reads, writes, and plays just fine.

Having kernel MODULES (device drivers) for damn near every piece of hardware made since 1990something is a huge plus in my book. Shit, my Madcatz Panther XL joystick lost support in XP. Drivers were 3rd party and buggy. Guess what, still 100% supported under Linux.

Go get Ubuntu.

Forget about Linux. It's not for you.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon