Reply to post: Re: Why?

Drink this potion, Linux kernel, and tomorrow you'll wake up with a WireGuard VPN driver

thames

Re: Why?

@Anonymous Coward said: "I had a ran a Linux VM that was optimised to be a VPN server (...) These days, you'd be lucky to get away with a 4GB USB stick."

Let's see how that compares to the actual size of a popular Linux ISO.

Ubuntu desktop: size is 1,953,349,632 bytes. That includes a full GUI (Unity), office suite (LibreOffice), web browser (Firefox), email client (Thunderbird) and all sorts of media players and other odds and ends. If you just want the desktop with web browser, pick minimal install and the other stuff will get left out.

Ubuntu server: is 845,152,256 bytes. That is just over a fifth of the size of the desktop ISO.

For Debian I just have the server net install, but the installed size won't be much different than the above.

FreeBSD (not Linux, but we'll list it anyway) is 2,930,397,184

OpenSuse is 3,917,479,936 bytes, although you don't have to install everything it includes.

Those are the ones I happen to have sitting around. The Ubuntu desktop will boot directly from the ISO so you can try it out without installing it.

If you want to know the install size, then as an example a Debian 9 64 bit server has a Virtual Box VDi size of 1.7 GB. However, that includes a C compiler and a bunch of other extraneous stuff that I use for testing software, so you can probably cut that down somewhat.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon