Reply to post: Re: ...citing the Windrush scandal as justification.

Think tank calls for post-Brexit national ID cards: The kids have phones so what's the difference?

Why Not?

Re: ...citing the Windrush scandal as justification.

If it was required that you had correct papers then I would expect the Windrush travellers to have valid papers pretty quickly. Because they didn't NEED it they didn't push for it, it wasn't needed.

That allowed subsequent governments to ignore their status.

I need a passport to travel abroad so I keep one. If I needed an ID card to pay my tax I would have one (I do). I was born here and can trace my family in the UK back centuries, I see an ID card as a sensible option.

Most process people would want something like that to have a process step that covered registering , not be content with 50 years of ignoring it.

I don't suggest the Windrush generation are culpable but they weren't motivated to solve it.

Unfortunately illegal immigration is out of control and we can't continue without the "hostile environment" if we want to control it. We aren't at a point where Pastor NIEMÖLLER's comments make sense but if we continue to add fuel to the fire we just might be. Remember that it required a government that was committed to killing every jew, black or "degenerate" (nasty labels) to make that happen, the tories don't seem to see be that way inclined.

Whilst I am no fan of May or her incompetents I am sure tightening up on immigration abuse is not the real issue.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon