Reply to post: It's the easy way out...

Make Facebook, Twitter, Google et al liable for daft garbage netizens post online – US Senator

Anonymous Coward
FAIL

It's the easy way out...

This is not for the greater good or anything: this is only to make things easier on the government and those forces which should enforce our laws and deal with any misdoings. And even though I seriously dislike social media myself I really hope they won't cave into this nonsense.

Because lets ask ourselves this simple question: what about the people who committed the 'crime' in the first place? Wouldn't it make more sense to hold them accountable for their own actions? Isn't the whole "enforce the law" concept also driven by trying to educate the offenders in hopes that they'll change their ways? OR... is this secretly really about trying to cash in as much fines as possible?

Thing is: I see parallels with some Dutch laws, though unrelated. Here in Holland it's illegal for a minor to purchase (!) or own alcohol. And it's also illegal for a shop to sell such substances to a minor, this law was added at a later time. Yet as a result law enforcement is currently more busy with trying to catch shops from doing wrong (even while getting minors to perform a felony in trying to buy alcohol...which is illegal in Holland because the police are not allowed to stage stuff like that).

So here's the result: when a minor is caught to have bought alcohol illegally then in most cases it's the shop who will be fined while the minor is usually left alone. What signal does that sent out exactly?

In my opinion this is no different. Because it's a lot of effort to try and chase down the offenders they're just going to target the messengers because that's a whole lot easier. Whatever happened to holding someone accountable for their own actions?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon