Reply to post:

Openreach annual review: Eat fibre and be merry, we fixed the faults before you called

SImon Hobson Bronze badge

Actually no. For the last couple of years OR has been offering FTTP for the same price as copper on new builds above a certain number of houses. This is the original announcement I think. But it's now dropped to 30 homes or more.

Wow, thanks for those links. Interesting to read the developer instructions for copper - the fibre one seems to be a broken link. Trouble is, the number of developers who really don't give a s**t about such stuff - and I bet the guy building the one my mum looked at was oblivious to the existence of it anyway based on his protracted bungling from one "I've just found out I have to ..." delay to another. The guide clearly says to provide internal cabling for both voice and data - many provide absolutely nothing at all because they are complete tightarses working on the "how cheap can we build this and still sell it" principle. Given the pent up demand, they can build s**t and people will still buy it as it's better than having no roof over your head.

That's the sad reality - unless you are going custom build, or get in early enough to specify (and pay through the nose for) extras, or are going really upmarket then you'll get none of these 20th century "mod cons"essentials.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon