Reply to post: Re: Unpaid walking advert for someone else's company

Nah, it won't install: The return of the ad-blocker-blocker

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Unpaid walking advert for someone else's company

"They're very handy for identifying people to avoid doing business with.

In 1973 I bought an Omega wristwatch - because I wanted something that was self-winding, water-resistant, kept good time, and showed the date and day of week. Working hours were long and irregular at that time.

In fact it was never a good time-keeper. Remembering to change the date at the start of a short month was also a chore. Omega recommended an annual service by their workshops - which took six weeks and cost several hundred pounds in today's money. Eventually they apparently outsourced the repairs for older watches to other people - who didn't have the equipment to renovate the waterproof seals.

After the last £200 pound repair to replace rusted gears - the new owners of the local jewellers also upped the price of a generic leather strap from £7 to £25. The watch was then consigned to be just a special occasion "dress" piece - together with my Wedgwood cuff-links. My women friends complain because I wear it face inwards - so people have to be sharp-eyed to spot the brand logo on the fastener. According to them it is supposed to be flaunted.

I now wear a quartz analogue sweep that keeps very good time - and it was £3.99 in Aldi. I change the battery myself.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon