Re: A view from the inside
1. Some places are stuck with them for lack of alternatives.
2. I have to use a fax modem because the scan unit on my MFP is iffy (tends to stripe).
3. What happens when it's the analog line that fails? Many places, if one goes, it's usually something that takes out the other.
4. As I've said, the big stumbling block is standardizing some kind of authentication system to lock digital documents. Perhaps instead of relying on format allowances, perhaps something prepended to the file.
5. Much like the typical photocopier, the usual response is "Who cares?" Color fax is even more 's niche case than color copying, to the point it's easier to e-mail for those rare occasions. No legal standard AFAIK requires a color copy of a document.