Reply to post: Re: 1994

Oldest swinger in town, Slackware, notches up a quarter of a century

CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: 1994

That was the time I first installed Slackware

For me it was pre version 1 (0.99pl15 to be precise) which (from memory) was only a couple of weeks before v1 (in 1993)

On a 386sx25 with an 80MB ATA hard drive. With no CD-drive ('how many floppies???!"). All downloaded via my friends work internet connection (we didn't have internet at work[1] or at home). All the floppies were repurposed ex-demo or driver floppies, all of which were the cheapest spec possible.

Which involved quite a few read errors and handing back to Joe so he could re-download the files. It took more than a week to get installed.

That install got me online (via Demon Internet) and from then on I could go my own install floppies. My other PC (running OS/2, including a CD-drive attached via a SB16 soundcard) used the linux box as a gateway (dial-on demand actually worked!) and the SMTP email and Usenet access also came from that box. The Acorn Archimedes didn't get Internet access because I couldn't network it..

Ah, them were the days - when I could stay up until 4am configuring 'stuff' and still go to work for 9am. MInd you, that gave me the impetus to push for an Internet connection at work (via Pipex, a 64K leased line with a Sparc-1 running Checkpoint Firewall hanging off it - it also had a (very, very expensive) token-ring card in it so it could talk to the rest of the network).

[1] We were an IBM mainframe place - we had access to IBMNET which (sort of) got us internet email but it was pretty cumbersome and labourious. And we sure as hell didn't have FTP access to the Internet.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon