Reply to post: Re: At least it's not BING

Fork it! Google fined €4.34bn over Android, has 90 days to behave

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: At least it's not BING

As an experiment, I switched my search engine at work to Bing a few years ago and left my personal devices on Google. Within a few weeks, they were pretty comparable and now there's very little difference in the quality of results.

If that's true, then the quality of searches you people look for are pretty linear. Everything Google want to know about a user is for advertisement and product selling. So it is easier to get those type of result after Google knows more about you. Same could go for Bing.

But if you actually search for technical information, specifications, uncommon parts or something from a specific region or language, you will notice significant margin in the quality of searched results. This is because technical information are different every time (different as in topics / industries / shape and forms ), knowing anything about that user would only make the researches worst by putting irrelevant results, wasting user's time.

This is why I cycle around 5+ different search engines on varies language. Because when neither Google nor Bing provide the quality of results I need, I can immediately head for the next available alternative hoping for better quality of results.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon