Reply to post: Re: 1.6 litre!

Nissan 'fesses up to fudging emissions data

Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: 1.6 litre!

Yeah, seven in Japan maybe. If they are school girls.

Err... This is diesel, not American style low compression petrol shit designed to run off low-octane petrol.

The latest generation 1.6 bi-turbo diesels are perfectly fine to lug a 2 tone 4x4 or pick-up truck off-road.

Example: https://www.isuzu.co.uk/?keyword=d%20max%20blade - perfectly fine off-road and can tow 3 tones on-road without batting an eye lid. There is a 2.5l "Arctic spec" version, but you do not really need it unless you are going somewhere into the extreme wilderness while towing 3 tonnes. If it is "either/or" the latest gen of 1.6 is sufficient (*).

I would never drive a new (post-Renault acquisition) Nissan off-road for other reasons like reliability. Lack of pulling power however is not on the list.

You only need 6 litre monstrosity if it is petrol and automatic (which puts you fair and square in America). The reason is that petrol's high torque point mostly coincides with high power point on the revs curve and is somewhere past 3.5K RPM (at least). As a result, in order to deliver the torque you need for 4x4 driving, you need a stupidly overpowered engine. The automatic gearbox adds insult to injury here as well.

Compared to that diesel engines reach max torque shortly after idle revs. So if you really drive offroad and really tow it is a choice of diesel or diesel (if allowed by regs) until the transmission-less engine-per axle (or engine per wheel) hybrids fully displace the Prickus style shite. Those reach max torque immediately so they will displace both diesels and petrols. It is not a matter of if, it is a matter of when. This is the sole reason I am not replacing my 11 year old D-Max with a new D-Max - I'd rather wait until there are multiple suppliers (not just Mistubishi) for electric per-axle.

(*)I own an older 2.5 one which sees plenty of action every summer (and sometimes in winter) around the deepest darkest Eastern Europe and I have test driven the new 1.6 one.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon