Reply to post: Re: As an EU citizen..

ICANN't get no respect: Europe throws Whois privacy plan in the trash

doublelayer Silver badge

Re: As an EU citizen..

You should have the right to have your details private. That's the right that is due to you. If I am a company that you deal with, I shouldn't have the right to take your information and sell it without your consent. Even if I need to have that information to do what you paid me for, that doesn't mean I can do anything with it I please. The cookie warning is useful--even if they don't let you say no, you can know not to go there again and to clear your cookies, although I'll admit that I care less about cookies than many other things that are done. The GDPR statements about who has your data, why they have it, and what they are going to do with it provide information that lets you determine whether you trust them with your data and what precautions if any you will take when dealing with them.

Now, onto having the right to know who owns a domain name, no, you don't have that right. More clearly, you don't have the right to know who owns a domain name if that person doesn't want to tell you. Consider a parallel: if you have a phone number and you don't know who it belongs to, you have no right to that information. If it is not listed by the owner somewhere, nobody you ask knows or is willing to tell you, and you can't get the person who answers to tell you, then you're out of luck. I have no obligation to list my phone number somewhere. I have no obligation to answer correctly if someone calls me up and asks who I am. Similarly, you don't have a right to know where I live, where I work, etc. You can find out yourself. You can ask and usually you will be told. I may release that information if I choose, where you can find it and use it freely. But you don't have a universal right to know.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon