Reply to post: Re: Actually, good photography requires skill

US Congress mulls expanding copyright yet again – to 144 years

MachDiamond Silver badge

Re: Actually, good photography requires skill

"Consider this: the famous V-J Day kiss was impromptu."

I believe that one was posed or at least "orchestrated".

Sting made a great comment, "It's possible to make a killing in the music business, but it's hard to make a living." If you think that making money in photography is all about luck, look around and take notice of all of the images you see everyday. Somebody was paid to make the images, it's not easy and to get hired by a large firm to make images for them requires skill and expertise, not luck or nobody would be in the photography business as a photographer. The images that have made me the most money were not luck. I was at the right place at the right time. I was also there with the right gear that I knew how to use and captured some pretty good images. I also knew how to sell those images and negotiate a good price on a license for them without signing away all of my rights.

If you take photos and "hope" that they turn out well, you aren't a photographer. You are simply somebody that owns a camera. I "know" that my photos will turn out well. I do get "lucky" once in a while, but that's more to do with being prepared, not divine intervention or astral alignments.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon