Reply to post: Re: "Where does the 4 to 6 interchange take place?"

Time to dump dual-stack networks and get on the IPv6 train – with LW4o6

bombastic bob Silver badge
Flame

Re: "Where does the 4 to 6 interchange take place?"

An IPv6 tunnel is another "temporary" solution for IPv6. But it seems to work well for me.

And as long as your IPv4 machines can [at least temporarily] map to an IPv6 address through the router [or wherever] it should work just fine. And I don't see IPv4 devices disappearing any time soon, especially when a lot of 'el cheapo' and legacy devices [and experimenter boards, etc.] only support IPv4. "A method by which these devices can connect" is a good thing.

One IPv6-related problem I'm seeing RIGHT NOW is the lack of _PROPER_ IPv6 glue support, even from MAJOR registrars. I have a particularly suffixed domain name that's not '.com' '.org' etc. and it's registered (inexpensively I might add) from "the biggest registrar" [no need to mention names but it starts with 'Go']. A few years ago I wanted to set up IPv6 glue for it (i.e. an IPv6 address that points to the name server, not just IPv4), if for no other reason than to get 'guru' level on he.net's certification along with a nice T shirt. Well, it wasn't supported back then, and _STILL_ is not supported, as of last week! I can only point the domain name to an IPv4 address, which means IPv6-only won't be able to access it. They _CLAIM_ to have "glue" support but when I try to get support, it's like "we do not support IPv6 addresses for DNS servers that we don't host" - in other words, PAY THEM EXTRA to get the IPv6 glue support.

THAT isn't how you promote IPv6. It also *BREAKS* any scheme of an IPv6-only connection to 'teh intarwebs'. This is the fault of the LAZY/CHEAP REGISTRARS, from either "being too cheap" or trying to STRONGARM PEOPLE into paying EXTRA so *THEY* host your DNS server (instead of YOU).

Unfortunately I had just paid them to renew the name, shortly before this discovery. Some time within the next 2 years I'll be looking for a competing registrar that WILL give me what I want. If they FIX it, I'll stick with them. If they do NOT I'll get another registrar. They need a series of clue-by-fours [most likely] before figuring out how WRONG it is to leave things as they are.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon