Reply to post: care.data

Now NHS Digital is going after data on private healthcare too

Peter Gathercole Silver badge

care.data

I wish that people would stop conflating care.data with sharing data within the NHS.

Care.data was all about sharing supposedly anonymized data from the NHS outside of the NHS, with people like medical research organizations, drug companies and insurance companies.

Whilst I have no problem with the first of these, I have some concerns with the second, and violent objections to the last, and there are other companies outside of all three of these categories that were being considered for access.

It was demonstrated that the anonymization could easily be undone by combining the anonymous data with well known data and information from social media.

I'm all for making the NHS more efficient by sharing data across different groups within the NHS, because then for example my son would not have arrived at his booked appointment at hospital for a pretty rare eye condition (and thus easily identified from this and the region that the records were for) only to find that all of his previous records had been misplaced, and could he tell the consultant what he was there for!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon