Reply to post: The scariest aspect?

'No questions asked' Windows code cert slingers 'fuel trade' in digitally signed malware

GIRZiM

The scariest aspect?

One of the four apparently dodgy e-credential vendors tracked by the MCC team, for example, was “selling more than 10 certificates per month" netting a "total of $16,150 in revenue” over a period of roughly three months

It's unclear whether that means $16,150 every month for three months or $5,383 a month but, even in the best case scenario of $16,150 every month that's a grand total of $193.800 per annum.

After you factor in mooring costs, marina club membership fees, fuel, etc. that's barely even going to get you a reasonably sized boat in Marbella, never mind a yacht with a crew in Monaco.

Factor in more than one member of the crime syndicate, each of whom will take a cut, and before you know it, if you're lucky you'll have enough change from a day out in a pedalo on the Serpentine to get the kids a '99' with chocolate sauce each.

One of the pillars of our digital security is bought and sold so cheaply that, were I a criminal myself, I'd be looking at how much I might make versus the time I might do if caught and thinking "I could make more than that working for a living. Stop wasting my time and wake me up when you've found a way of making some real money, guys!"

Now that's scary.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon