Reply to post: Re: Really small systems

Ubuntu reports 67% of users opt in to on-by-default PC specs slurp

Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Re: Really small systems

I've not put 18.04 on any of my machines yet, but I do have a casual use system in the bedroom that runs 16.04 that is a Acer dual core Atom Netbook clocked at about 1.6GHz with 1GB of memory and 8GB SSD, although the SSD is abysmally slow, so I run it off of a normal install on a 32GB USB micro memory card reader (not a live distro).

It works OK for browsing and YouTube videos, but I would not want to use it for anything serious. And Firefox's lax memory management means that it is necessary to stop and start Firefox on a relatively regular basis. I can't believe how frequently Firefox just grows to consume all the available memory, regardless of how much you have (it's driven my normal 8GB CoreDuo Thinkpad into paging more times than I care to remember).

I'd like to run the Netbook off an SD card in the MMC slot, but the BIOS does not support booting from that device, and I've not (yet) managed to get the boot partition on the SSD to successfully boot the kernel from the MMC (it's something to do with the modules loaded into the GRUB image - I'll get there).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon