Reply to post: Re: Ahem

How a tax form kludge gifted the world 25 joyous years of PDF

WolfFan Silver badge

Re: Ahem

I have Acrobat X Pro. So far it reads all PDFs I've thrown at it. I am in the process of de-Adobifying my systems; I will not be getting a newer version of Acrobat. Ever. My PDF needs are simple. I must be able to create PDFs from scans, including from scans from automatic document feeders on assorted scanners, copiers, and multifunction devices. I must be able to combine assorted elements into PDFs, including previously scanned files in PDF, PNG, JPG, TIFF, or GIF format. (You'd be amazed how many pretenders to the Acrobat throne can't handle GIFs...) I must be able to have basic OCR, which generates DOC, DOCX, or RTF files which don't have too many errors. (I can point the file to a dedicated OCR app, usually ReadIRIS, if necessary. The PDF just has to have good enough resolution.) In particular I must be able to generate PDFs from assorted other elements into a single PDF which has sufficient resolution to do OCR if necessary or to just be usable as is, depending on what we want to do with the assorted stuff. (This, of course, means that any image files MUST be scanned in or otherwise generated at a high enough resolution to be useful; anyone who hands us 100 dpi images gets laughed at. This in turn usually means that we get the original document and scan it in ourselves, most people simply scan in at far too low a resolution or use silly formats or both. GIF, I'm looking at you. And BMP. And the idiot who still uses PICT; yo! moron! Apple hasn't used PICT in nearly 20 years! Sigh.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon