Reply to post: Re: How would ID cards prevent anything?

National ID cards might not mean much when up against incompetence of the UK Home Office

GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

Re: How would ID cards prevent anything?

@AndyS

You beat me to it,... registration for ID cards would have seen those caught up in Windrush identified at that point. The problem was the Govt destroying data.

Meanwhile, we have had a National ID card previously, I recall being sent a National Insurance Number Card when I turned 16, with my NI number on it. They don't issue those cards any more, because they cost too much. Let's just dwell on that for a moment,.... the management of simple data, name, address, and NI number is too costly to maintain via an ID card system. Yet somehow, that problem goes away if we make the data more complex?

Driver's licenses are what,... £34, ... a passport is ~£75 and a biomentric National Indentity Card would be,..... oh, if it's mandatory, it would have to be free. Now, once we have a National ID card, why would we need a driver's license, or passport? Surely that would just be a couple of extra fields of data, and therefore we could scrap the other systems. But if we have to pay, what about those who cannot afford to pay out? Do they become non-citizens?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon