Reply to post: Re: Я невиновен, товарищ!

Sir, you've been using Kaspersky Lab antivirus. Please come with us, sir

Roland6 Silver badge

Re: Я невиновен, товарищ!

>We'll download the source code, we'll compile it, and we'll compare our resulting binaries with the binaries downloadable from Kaspersky Labs' site. They better be identical.

You had better be running exactly the same compiler, libraries, signing certificates etc. on your system as used by Kaspersky.

But all your little exercise will do is to provide that the binaries came from the source. It doesn't prove the presence or absence of 'backdoors', for that you will have to read the code. However, I doubt that will reveal anything, as if what has been published is correct and I have seen evidence to think otherwise, the code did exactly what the CCC told it to do - just like the telemetry module in Win10 - which can also upload your entire HDD and connected drives to MS - you consented to this by accepting the EULA.

Basically, ANY AV product that uploads 'suspicious' stuff to a CCC, where 'suspicious' is defined by the CCC can be misused by any party having access (authorised or not authorised) to the CCC.

I do think ST you are barking up the wrong tree.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon