Reply to post: Re: So after a couple of decades of the warm embrace of the wonderful unicorn and moonbeams

Security execs must prep for post-Brexit cyber challenges – report

codejunky Silver badge

Re: So after a couple of decades of the warm embrace of the wonderful unicorn and moonbeams

@ John Smith 19

"But IRL it's held together by laws and treaties."

Flexible ones at that. As long as its the critical countries for the EU's survival- https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/11207721/Why-do-France-and-Germany-keep-breaking-EU-rules.html

"The UK entered the EEC in 1975, making anyone who lived through a the UK not being a member of a European Union in their late 40's at least."

Is this an attempt to claim the EU existed before the EU existed?

"You mention of a 20 year EU is (I presume) the Treaty of Masstrict,"

And the founding of the EU.

"Neither Margaret Thatcher, nor here successor John Major deemed a referendum necessary and both had the absolute majority (unlike May) to do exactly what they wanted."

Well said. So this is the first vote on our membership of the EU after being in the EU for 20 years. 20 years to prove itself invaluable, and instead they couldnt even get a majority support from the UK.

"This has never been about the UK population.It's always been about keeping the Conservative Party together and killing off UKIP"

How can you view this as separate issues? The reason the tories feared UKIP is UKIP was actually popular and offering what people wanted. Their support had grown to such a volume that it cornered Cameron into sticking by his promise for a referendum. A promise voted for consistently from when labour were the lead party. And after both parties reneged on their promise UKIP grew to amazing levels of support. That was achieved by the population.

"A fact you will begin to understand as the consequences for the UK economy become clear."

So far so good. If your a believer in experts then the positive outlook is supported by Osborne and Carney (not how they spun it but factually positive) and Mervyn King. If you dislike experts then even the EU recognise we would gain competitive advantage over them if we leave and so want us to agree to abide by their rules.

"Unless of course you aren't a UK citizen, or have dual nationality. In which case you'll probably run to whatever bolt hole you've got prepared."

I am a UK citizen (I think we covered this before but maybe it was another remain doomsayer). No I dont have dual nationality. Why would I run? The aim was to free the UK from the EU, I intend on living in it. This is about the future of the country and doing what I feel is right for the people in the UK. I am sure you have the same feelings, and so we vote. And then we get a democratic result.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon