Reply to post: Re: Not as simple as all that...

That was quick: Seattle rushes to kill tax that would mildly inconvenience Amazon

Agamemnon

Re: Not as simple as all that...

I've been here for more than a half-decade now, and you are Correct, there is more to it than that.

For example: Liberalism here is so bad that I Returned To Santa Cruz, CA to get some effing peace. I'll let that sink in and we can move on. ...

Seattleites (my better half is a native) pretty much liked it around here before Amazon grew, and Microsoft started expanding the East Side. As I said, I hail from Silly Valley in the 80s and I've seen pretty much everything they're doing here now a few times already. Leadership in Seattle Proper did see a Grass Roots opportunity because Seattelites are pretty much fucking tired of Amazon Executive and Developer douche-bags wandering around town after crushing affordable living into the ground and "gentrifying" some of the cooler places in town. However, $20Million USD is a very small number when you're talking about businesses in Seattle. There's construction companies, the Airport, *Starbucks* (don't Fuck with Starbucks, that's just stupid, screw Amazon Execs), I'll bet you a weed store or two make that, and the Grocery Stores (Safeway and Albertsons, who is already in trouble in Seattle) chimed in. Basically, there are a Lot of businesses that said; "OK, if you Actually want to jump up and down on that land-mine, have at it."

And it wouldn't have done a single thing for the Homeless OR Opiate problems in Seattle, far from it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon