Reply to post: Obesity, Diabetes Type II and so on

Youth crime falls as kids stay inside to play Grand Theft Auto instead of going out to steal cars

deadlockvictim

Obesity, Diabetes Type II and so on

The first thing that comes to mind when I read about increased numbers of young people (well, under 25s anyway) spending more of their time indoors playing computer games are the side effects of such a sedentary lifestyle: obesity, diabetes type II, tracksuit/pyjama wearing [1] and so on. In other words, the ticking time-bomb is being magnified.

For all of us in our 40s and 50s, these won't have a positive effect on us when we come to retirement age in 20 years' time. But this is just me being selfish.

That being said, I played a lot Quake, Half Life, Team Fortress, StarCraft & Civilization in my 20s and early 30s, so I'm hardly one to complain. Computer games, *when played with others*, are immensely satisfying and very good for social contact. So they can have a positive effect on our mental health and a detrimental effect on our physical health. I'm still waiting to find railguns that float about a metre off the ground.

[1] I don't mean to come to come across a snob here. If you're going to stay in all day anyway, then putting on the easiest and comfiest clothes seems like a good idea, more of this notion.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon