Reply to post:

PETA calls for fish friendly Swedish street signage

pɹɐʍoɔ snoɯʎuouɐ
Unhappy

I began reading this and thought it was some sort of joke, but then realised in this age of SJW and special snowflakes that they are serious....

They should take note about a similar thing in Liverpool. England. Liverpool's growth was largely based on the slave trade. Ships would leave Liverpool with trinkets to trade African cheifs for slaves, take those slaves to the Americas and then return to Liverpool loaded up with cargo, mostly sugar and cotton.

many of Liverpool's streets were named after ship owners. This included a one street named after James Penny. James Penny was a very vocal anti abolitionist and had lobbied parliament defending the trade.

Many years later, a group of lads wrote a very popular song about the lane named after James Penny, and not to many years ago there was a call to change all the street names named after slave ship owners. There was a vote and the people complaining were told to fuck off, and I fully agree with them.

Its not that I agree with the slave trade, I don't, but its part of the History of liverpool and brushing the bad things away is just an attempt on erasing the not so nice history.

and just if anyone is interested, the rivalry between Liverpool and Manchester comes from this era too. The ships used to land at the docks in Liverpool and the cargo of cotton was then transported to the Manchester mills via canal boats. Someone had the bright idea to build a ship canal all the way to Manchester. This cost the Liverpool dockers a lot of work money , reducing many families to poverty.

so if you want to change names of streets, change canal street in Manchester as this is upsetting to the people of Liverpool !!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon