Reply to post: Maybe Autopilot is the wrong name but someone would call it that - Tesla got there first

Oddly enough, when a Tesla accelerates at a barrier, someone dies: Autopilot report lands

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Maybe Autopilot is the wrong name but someone would call it that - Tesla got there first

I am a Tesla owner, and have been for over two years. I have somehow managed to stay alive whilst sometimes using this supposed buggy/demonic system that is waiting to drive you into a wall, or lorry etc.. In real life, Autopilot is a nice to have, I mainly only use it in heavy slow traffic, as it is entirely at home in this environment. It understands that motorbikes are filtering, people are braking late and accelerating fast. It has loads of limitations, like you would never use it on an A road, as it does not understand traffic lights, and really really doesn't understand roundabouts.

There have been a lot of comments about the car, driver and especially the software. The car is fantastic, but should get better. And, I can confidently say it will get better. You should not rely on the software features in your day to day driving, I brake happily without the need for the collision assistance to emergency stop for me. It has pretty good collision detection, but it still throws a fit in the same place every day, when the road bends round but all it can see is a parked car.

There seem to be way too many people here who are having way too much fun taking pot shots at Tesla and Elon Musk. Buy the car, or don't buy the car, but don't stand on the side and ridicule the people that did buy the car. For the record, Tesla did not market Autopilot, and it wasn't even available when I bought my car, this feature was enabled while I was waiting the many months for it to be built and shipped to the UK. But, I still paid good money for the feature to be enabled, and I also watched the associated stupid videos of people mucking about with autopilot.

I do also find it amazing how one car has a crash, and it has everyone up in arms. Its not like Petrol (or Gas for our American cousins) is nice and safe. How many bikers injuries are caused by spilled Diesel?

Did I mention, it is still a damned good car.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon