Reply to post: Re: "no software will be ever fully secure, sorry.."

VPNFilter router malware is a lot worse than everyone thought

doublelayer Silver badge

Re: "no software will be ever fully secure, sorry.."

I support open source. I don't want only one open source thing to exist. For example, I like Linux and support it, but I don't have a problem with BSD, nor would I have a problem with any other open source operating system. I'm fine that non-free OS are there too, but I don't like the theory so much.

However, if the choices are one open source thing or one closed source thing, I'm going to go with the open source thing, so long as they have similar features--I'm not going to throw away a modern and working product for some code written in 2003 and not maintained. The reason is that, when something terrible happens to it, there are many people who will work on making it work again. If, for example, we had a situation in which everything in the world ran under the same version of Linux, thus making it possible for someone to attack it all and take it down, I feel more confident that someone can get it back up than if it was windows running everything. Neither should be allowed to happen, but if something open source fails, you need to fix it yourself or someone who also uses it needs to fix it. If some closed source thing fails, the people who made it have to fix it, which breaks if the people don't want to, are not available, are busy, or have lost data they need for the task. So, no, I don't want open source dictatorship, but yes, I do tend to trust such software a bit more.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon