Reply to post: Re: It's simple

Australia wants tech companies to let cops 'n' snoops see messages without backdoors

smudge

Re: It's simple

What you missed was a short, well-stated summary of exactly what's wrong with key escrow or, indeed, any other form of back door..

You mean like "giving your private keys to someone else is not a good idea, and the baddies won't do it anyway"? The reason behind my "didn't bother reading this" comments is that I thought that every thinking person in the industry knew all that anyway.

Must be 20 or more years since I wrote my company's response to HMG's request for views on key escrow. I basically said what I said above, quoting the experts - mostly in the US - who had already said this.

I then went on a short holiday.

When I returned, the paper had been rewritten, by a salesman. It now said that we wholeheartedly welcomed HMG's proposal, and looked forward to the opportunity to work on their implementation, etc etc, ad nauseam.

I asked for only one change - removal of my name from the paper. Otherwise my reputation, amongst my peers, would have been shredded.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon