Stop assuming such evil intent!
Wow, everyone is assuming such evil intent on Microsoft's part! That's not the Microsoft way.
The Microsoft way is:
- Decide to change the web interfaces every few months, especially rearranging all the menus every time.
- Decide that git and http aren't the best interfaces. Come out with new mandatory interfaces and APIs and associated client tools.
- Add significant new capabilities. And introduce lots of bugs. Don't fix the bugs.
- A year later change the APIs again.
- Bind all the interfaces to Microsoft single-login services. But don't provide fully functional account management.
- Change the APIs again.
- Wonder where everyone went.
- Decide the level of interest no longer warrants focus on that business. Cancel it.
No evil intent necessary.