Reply to post: Re: @iron

'Tesco probably knows more about me than GCHQ': Infosec boffins on surveillance capitalism

Bernard M. Orwell

Re: @iron

"That this is insanity is obvious. Has anyone run into problems from not having an account?"

If you're travelling to the US regularly, and you don't have an account, I'd be wary of pissing someone off who knows you or working for a company that has a less than stellar reputation. There's always the chance that someone will create a facebook profile in your name, with a smattering of details and pictures, and then link it to all sorts of anti-US or extremist sites etc.

It might be hard to convince the morons in the US that not having a social media profile is not a crime, but I bet it'd be way harder to convince them that all those twitter, facebook and linked-in connections aren't really you.

Whilst I am a facebook user, regularly, (seeded with misinformation and carefully curated to avoid brain-cell losing nonsense), I have created various other accounts on various other platforms to prevent someone hijacking my identity on them.

I find it most irritating that I have to do that, but better safe than sorry?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon