Reply to post: Re: "Strange...", said Overlord Unit 64

IBM's Watson Health wing left looking poorly after 'massive' layoffs

flactem

Re: "Strange...", said Overlord Unit 64

Duggarchild,

the IBM exec Comment notwithstanding... I think you've nailed it.. I don't work in marketing and advertising but I love commercials Watson has been around for at least 10 years in game shows and playing chest... And now that I think about it the Crux of this could be the fact that they've never Associated ( game show ) Watson with artificial intelligence or machine learning... Maybe the tag lines too long... But I believe there's an product placement/association issue... Only until recently I've discovered that Watson can go in there and fix an elevator or fix a problem with the plane prior to the problem being an issue...

I am not very familiar with the aspects of artificial intelligence or machine learning but I do understand { strategically and financially viable) any software or product has to be practical and somewhat easy to apply for crushing large amount of data quickly considering the medical Acquisitions is Watson only relegated to the healthcare field? Moreover, you still have to program via algorithms to complete any specified task...

This may be a simple case of (IBM getting out ahead of their skis) trying to initiate a large artificial intelligence footprint in conjunction with Acquisitions in the medical field in order to give the impression that they are on the floor front of something w/out practical direction.... I am speculating, but given the marketing and media blitz regarding artificial intelligence one would assume that it was ready to take the place of human beings in the next 5 years....

I do admire IBM that is one Institution that is maintained its leadership at the Forefront of Technology... It could just be as simple as not having the AI mathematician core to support the administrative side that they are given the AX too...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon