Reply to post: Re: Overreach

US websites block netizens in Europe: Why are they ghosting EU? It's not you, it's GDPR

John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Overreach

"I like the idea that GDPR is protecting us and it's amusing how the spammers have reacted. However the attempt to over reach outside EU jurisdiction is chilling. What if that actually happens? It's already happened on a temporary basis with some websites."

I was just listening to an old episode on Inside Science the other day. Part of what they were talking about was the ethics of carrying out experiments on people without their knowledge. The current best practice is not only that this is wrong, but it's an accepted principle across much of the world. It was drafted by US military lawyers in the aftermath of the Nuremberg Trials. But the US Supreme Court has never allowed it to become law in the USA. Sometimes, imposing laws for the greater good, ie protecting people rights is a good thing, even when it's the US which does it. It's just such a shame the US doesn't practice what it preaches. I'm sure the good people of the US would like some of those protections too.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon