Reply to post: Re: The attack can only be partially mtitigated

Epyc fail? We can defeat AMD's virtual machine encryption, say boffins

CheesyTheClown

Re: The attack can only be partially mtitigated

Deep packet inspection is generally not worth much. Unless your deep packet inspection engine can sandbox all code and all data that passes through it. it will never be able to provide better security than proper endpoint protection.

Deep packet inspection doesn't offer anything more than rate limiting the nonsense traffic. So it's certainly worth it. Whether you're using Snort based Cisco products or PfSense... or whatever, there is value.

That said, I actually come from the broadcast video background. I spend the evening speaking about SDI forward error correction and no-return-to-zero with a fellow engineer and my 14 year old daughter last night. The other guy and I worked together for years developing chips and firmware for those things.

I'd be pretty hard pressed to see any circumstance where there would be any value in an IPS on video content delivery channels. I certainly could never identify a circumstance where there's any value in 40Gbp/s networking unless you're buying into the looney tunes nonsense Cisco started by trying to sucker their customers into buying 10Gb/s networking for delivering content that could be delivered at 800Mb/s with almost no compression (as in 1.5Gb/s SDI which has about 1.1Gb/s of actual data which can easily compress below 1Gb without loss or latency issues)

If you're a CDN, you're scaling up when you should be scaling out. That's putting a lot of eggs in one basket. It's a very 1990's-2000's way of thinking. It didn't scale then, it doesn't scale now.

Of course, I'm purely speculating on your design, but even if you're a big production studio handling lots of multi-camera ingest, you are probably way too over-provisioned. Also, if you're doing layered security, you should never be in a circumstance where you'd need to inspect more than a few megabytes a second of traffic.

But again, I'm speculating. Every design usually has a reason other than "we like to spend money"... but these days, with the advent of all the SMPTE members pushing for uncompressed (idiots) because it allows them to make A LOT MORE MONEY, a lot of people are falling for it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon