Reply to post: I think everybody is missing the real point!

Microsoft, Google: We've found a fourth data-leaking Meltdown-Spectre CPU hole

MaximusM

I think everybody is missing the real point!

I have been a software developer for over 30 years and have a great insite to the issue this brings up. Most of the processors were designed to be used for a single user Operating System (OS) where you don't have concerns of snooping by another users or applications because it's a single user system! Once code is running on that CPU there are many many ways to snoop which can be considered hacking by looking at memory locations or data written to disk or deleted file space. I believe the issues they are concerned about are really about multi-user operating systems run on CPU's that are designed for single user. This is were the CPU does not provide the protection of snooping between users.

Heck, look at the languages these days. The developers are lazy and don't need to release (delete) memory that was allocated and you let a garbage collector do the cleanup in Java and C#. I really consider this garbage collection scheme to be a security leak itself. In my book this is far worse than the CPU issues they are reporting.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon