Reply to post: Re: Perhaps we need to

Zuckerberg gets a night off: Much-hyped Euro grilling was all smoke, absolutely no heat

Camilla Smythe

Re: Perhaps we need to

I refer you to my previous suggestion...

https://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/containing/3501752

I have checked my Sky Broadband Shield and it does give me the opportunity to manually enter specific domains into a list that will be blocked for me. Of course that is still a pain in the arse but would/should be simple for the ISP to set up for general use.

Put a "Block Facebook" checkbox on the main setup page, unchecked so you have to opt-in. Supply an explanation to make things even more GDPR compliant.

People who do not have a Facebook account or do not wish to take part in Mr Zuckerbergs shadow tracking sign in, check the box, update and sign out. Bye bye Mr Zuck and a big chunk of his advertising revenue.

Sorry Zuck. Don't want to answer questions or change your behaviour. Tough. Oh by the way the new service is permanent.

Oh... and before someone pipes up about all of their Firefox plug ins and host file expertise the exercise is not for you. It is for the average user who does not have your foo-bar prowess.

Otherwise no outrage because people make the choice for themselves. At a pinch he might moan about being singled out... why not do the same to Google and the others?

Tough

First they came for Facebook and Facebook did nothing.

Then they came for Google and Google did nothing.

-

-

-

Then they came for me but I had paid attention and used the opportunity to set up a truly compliant, transparent and privacy centric set of services.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon