Reply to post: Re: Show some understanding, people

Microsoft, Google: We've found a fourth data-leaking Meltdown-Spectre CPU hole

Jamie Jones Silver badge
Megaphone

Re: Show some understanding, people

And, to some extent, I blame software developers like myself. We have got lazy. "CPU's are fast" we say, "we don't need to bother about the efficiency of our code".

Speak for yourself!

Of course, this is all true, especially so when microsoft was dominant - they wanted to bloat the system so that their hardware partners would get more sales, and they'd sell more licenses.

In the mid to late 90's we used to HATE this. The philosophy was there with newbie programmers, even managers.

It became the culture - the 'norm'.

"Running slow? Nothing to do with inefficent software - you need a faster machine."

"Low on memory? You need more, obviously! It's perfectly reasonable for "hello world" to need 8Mb!"

And of course, this all lead to comments I'm sure we've all heard: "Well, all computers crash, or need to be rebooted every few days"

The same "couldn't care less" attitude gave us "this site best viewed in IE6 - update your browser, loser - microsoft is da shizz"

But we were just old shites who were pleased to reduce code cycles in bytes, and speed in OP cycles. What would we know?

A bit of a wakeup with Y2K, and a bigger wakeup when mobile phones became more capable, but still relatively underpowered... Of course, as mobile cpu/ram got better, that hope was soon lost.

So now we have a similar "we know better" related to internet and 'cloud".

Many of us facepalm at the lack of security in IoT shite, house door-locks that require internet access, shoving all data onto someone elses servers etc. but still, those of us who have been using the internet since the 80's and are intimate with it's design principles... what would we know..... Door lock not working? Get more memory! Toaster slow? It needs a faster CPU! Your whole system has stopped working? Not our fault, someone has deleted their githib account we were live-linking to!

</get off my lawn you kids>

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon