Reply to post: Attitude to Bullying a Factor

Blood spilled from another US high school shooting has yet to dry – and video games are already being blamed

Alan Johnson

Attitude to Bullying a Factor

It is too early in this case to say anything but was bullying a factor to go alongside gun culture and lack of gun control?

When I lived in the states there seemed to be not just a tolerance of extensive bullying in schools but a tacit approval and encouragement of it in popular culture, and perhaps even in the teaching staff especially in the sporting area. Kids should be taught to be independant and stand up for themselves but they also need to be taugh to respect others and I did not see that.

Many of the mass murders seem to have been performed by bullied, socially awkward teenager who have become desperate, That is no excuse or justification but I am surprise dthat this is not more ideally discussed as a factor. Perhaps there is a wish not to be seen to justify the attacks or blame some of the victims. The gun culture excaserbates this becaus of the message that the way to stand up for yourself, gain power and respect is to use a gun which is ubiquitous in the US.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon