Reply to post: Personal Tragedy

Sysadmin hailed as hero for deleting data from the wrong disk drive

frank ly

Personal Tragedy

About 20 years ago when I had my first computer from PC World, I decided to fit a new hard drive into the spare bay, to use as a data drive since the C: drive was getting full with all the music and video files that seemed to get downloaded.

A simple job, easy to fit after some faffing around, configure it and make sure it could be seen by the OS. So I did 'format D:' and went to make a cup of tea. When I got back I quickly realised that something was wrong.

You know how the 'C' and 'D' key are very close to each other on the keyboard? I lost about a year's worth of media file downloads and you'd be right if you guessed that I hadn't backed them up.

After that I vowed that nothing like that would ever happen again. My OS system partition is backed up by regular partition imaging to a removable drive with a two image rolling backup on two separate disks and so is the personal data partition. My media collection is on a 1TB network drive and I maintain a separate copy on another drive that is only connected when making a backup. I do practice restoring the OS partition now and then just to make sure.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon