Reply to post: Re: spectacular coverage

Blood spilled from another US high school shooting has yet to dry – and video games are already being blamed

Mark 85

Re: spectacular coverage

That might help. I read somewhere about the theory that it's now a numbers game like the more kills the better.

News is a big part of the problem. Does one's news feed need to be filled by any single story be it politics or a shooting?

I can go along with "controls" such as mandatory gun safe locked down and the only access by the owner. I'd love to own an M1 and an M14 but I don't. Same for a .45 pistol. Memory of the military But... kids visiting, a target for burglary, so I don't. Assault weapons weren't used in this case but probably should be banned In my eyes they really are not useful even for home defense or anything other than target shooting. It's their abuse that's the problem.

The catch with banning assault weapons is collecting them. Perhaps a huge license fee, inspections like they do for machine guns. Yes, you can own a machine gun legally here in the States. Pay the application fee (non refundable as I recall), let the government do the background checks, the site security checks, etc. and then there's a yearly license fee. The problem will still be the illegal ones out there.

Making something illegal doesn't stop it and that is crux of the problem.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon