Reply to post:

Map app chaps Waze add shout-at-sat-nav support for Ford cars

The Dogs Meevonks Silver badge

As others have pointed out, satnav has some big drawbacks.... I don't need it to navigate my way out of my home town, nor do I need it to get home again. I've owned cars with satnav since about 2005 but never use the incar ones anymore... Mainly due to out of date maps and excessive costs from manufacturers for replacements, or the complete discontinuation of support. using my phone is easier and far more accurate nowadays. My next car won't 'require' it as a list of preferred options unless it's part of a package that's included with my preferred ones (such as leather heated seats)

So like others, I use my brain and drive in the direction I need to until a point where I can no longer be certain of which direction to go. This can be anywhere from 50-90% of the journey already completed. It all depends on whether I've been to that part of the country before.

A group of friends once took our cars to the Nurburgring for a fun weekend, 4 cars and 3 different satnavs... each one trying to take us on different routes that could vary by up to 80 miles. Mine was the most accurate and direct at around 406 miles whilst a friends Garmin was trying to take us past, back and around adding nearly 80 miles to the journey. On the way back he blindly followed it instead of the rest of us and ended up missing the ferry we all caught... and we arrived 90 mins early for it.

I always take a look at the map before leaving, download a copy of the route onto my phone as well as surrounding areas in case of redirections, and I always check out the alternative routes offered to see if one is more direct and fuel efficient.

Luckily I grew up in an era where maps were used and I can actually read one.

But my biggest gripe with satnavs is currently with google maps, which now only marks your position with a big round dot, and doesn't change back into the directional arrow until you have started driving a few hundred yards... Which often leads to you starting out in the wrong direction when starting from being parked up.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon