Reply to post: Re: Agile is b*llocks. Any non-idiot knows this.

Agile development exposed as techie superstition

LucreLout

Re: Agile is b*llocks. Any non-idiot knows this.

As 'using the cloud' is nothing more than putting your balls in someone else's vice and hoping they know which way to twist the handle, Agile is relying on meaningless ritual and mantras rather than on your own intelligence.

Entertaining.

Using the cloud is just using other peoples computers, hopefully everyone sees this and understands the risks. So how the hell has it gotten so popular? Well, from a developers perspective, the on prem servers are other peoples computers - they belong to networks/ops/whatever your business calls them this week. Getting access to them is all too frequently painful, involves lots of paperwork, and takes a disproportionate amount of time. Getting more servers in the cloud is trivial. Which, I'm guessing is why so many devs find the concept so appealing. Note ye rash downvoters, that I'm not suggesting its a flawless plan from the companies perspective and certainly not over time. These are, after all, other peoples computers which now hold all of your data.

Agile is just a means of managing code production. The best bit about it, is that management types expect push back, or scrolling deadlines as the spec changes. What they no longer expect is a deadline to be fixed, with a fixed resource budget, and a spec to be fluid. All that does is kill the developers social life. Waterfall doesn't work - we've known that for more than 20 years. I'm not suggesting Agile is brilliant either, but its less disruptive to my social life than waterfall was. Just ignore the ceremonies, sermons etc and crack on. Its easier to get the PHBs to focus on one small thing at a time, rather than understand the whole of their business process and be able to coherently model that in a way that can then be implemented.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon